How can you recycle used hearing aids? The answer is definitely the same whether you choose to upgrade to a more advanced model like cochlear implants or you got them from a deceased relative: donate your pre-owned hearing aids versus throwing them away.
There are lots of people suffering from hearing loss who could use a donated hearing aid, and a few institutions out there that acquire and distribute those hearing aids to the people in need. Read on to discover why it’s important to donate your pre-owned hearing aid and find out how you can go about it.
Why It’s Worthwhile to Donate a Used Hearing Aid
- Around 14% of the total population, suffers from hearing loss
- Of all of the adults suffering from hearing loss 91% percent are over 50 years old
- There is evidence of loss of hearing in 15% of school aged children
- Hearing aids would benefit nearly 29 million adults with loss of hearing, but…
- …hearing aids are actually utilized by only 16% (4.6 million) of them
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Of those over 70 who require hearing aids, less than 30% percent have ever used them
I think we should be concerned. Because neglected hearing loss has been connected to several health problems from a greater risk of falling to cognitive decline and depression. In fact, new research comes out every day showing how crucial hearing is to your general health. Getting hearing aids can lessen these health issues (and in certain cases even reverse them).
And loss of hearing will cost the typical family up to $12,000 every year which should be an extremely compelling point. But hearing aids can actually decrease that cost by up to 50%.
It might not be feasible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford hearing aids.
Your old hearing aid can make a tremendous effect, in the overall health, quality of life and financial well-being, for an individual in need who couldn’t otherwise afford a hearing aid. It may also help a child in school who has difficulty hearing, which could impact their ability to enter into college and make a livable wage when they get older.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
There are numerous volunteer organizations and manufacturers who help recycle old hearing aids. Come and see us so we can advise you on the correct recycling choice for you. Or you can just give us a call.